Working with the Available Software sites
The Available Software Sites preference page allows you to define the software
sites that are consulted when browsing for available software or updating the
system. To manage the list of sites used by the system:
- Open the
Install/Update > Available Software Sites preference page to see
the list of sites that
are used to gather the available software and search for updates.
- All sites registered in the system are shown in the list. Sites marked as
Enabled are those that are used to search for updates and browse
available software. Sites marked as Disabled are not consulted by the
system. For example, you may wish to disable a site that is temporarily not
available or experiencing network problems in order to speed up the search
- Select a site to see optional information about the status of the site at
the bottom of the page. For example, if the system has been unable to find the
site on the network, the status will indicate that it is not available.
- Click Test Connection to see if a site can be found by the system.
You may change the sites that are used by the system in several ways:
Adding a new software site
- To add sites to the system:
- Click Add... to enter the location of a new site.
- You may select a disabled site and click Enable in order to make it available
to the system.
- Click Import... to import a list of sites that was previously
exported to a file.
- To remove sites from the system:
- Select a site and click Disable if you want to temporarily
stop using the site. This will keep the site in the list so that you can
enable it later.
- Click Remove to remove the site from the list of sites.
- Click Export... to save the list of sites to a file. This
is useful for sharing site lists with other users or across multiple
Installing new software
Scheduling automatic updates