Description: Platform runtime supports plug-ins which would like to
declare main entry points. That is, programs which
would like to run using the platform runtime but yet
control all aspects of execution can declare themselves
as an application. Declared applications can be run
directly from the main platform launcher by specifying
the -application argument where the parameter
is the id of an extension supplied to the
applications extension point described here.
This application is instantiated and run by the platform.
Platform clients can also use the platform to lookup and
run multiple applications.
<!ELEMENT extension (application)>
point CDATA #REQUIRED
id CDATA #REQUIRED
name CDATA #IMPLIED>
<!ELEMENT application (run?)>
visible (true | false) "true"
cardinality (singleton-global|singleton-scoped|1|2|3|4|5|*) "singleton-global"
thread (main|any) "main"
icon CDATA #IMPLIED>
- visible - Specifies whether the application should be visible for the user. For example, some applications may provide features to other applications but nothing directly to the user. In this case the application should not be revealed to the user to start it individually. The default value is set to true.
- cardinality - Specifies the cardinality of the application. The cardinality controls the number of applications that may be running at the same time in the Platform. The following cardinality types are allowed
The default value is "singleton-global".
- This application must be the only application running. No other types of
applications can start while this application is active
- This application must be the only scoped application running. No other applications that use the singleton-scoped cardinality can start while this application is active
- An integer indicates the maximum number of active instances allowed for this application. Other applications are allowed to start while this application is active, except for singleton-global applications
- A value of "*" indicates there is no maximum on the number of active instances allowed for this application. Other applications are allowed to start while this application is active, except for singleton-global applications
- thread - Specifies the thread the application must run on. The following thread types are allowed.
The default value is "main".
- This application must run on the main thread.
- This application may run on any thread.
- icon - Path to a resource that should be used as the application icon. The path may be translated to provide a different icon according to the locale.
<!ELEMENT run (parameter*)>
class CDATA #REQUIRED>
- class - the fully-qualified name of a class which implements org.eclipse.equinox.application.IApplication.
<!ELEMENT parameter EMPTY>
name CDATA #REQUIRED
value CDATA #REQUIRED>
- name - the name of this parameter made available to instances of the specified application class
- value - the value of this parameter made available to instances of the specified application class
Examples: Following is an example of an application declaration:
<extension id="coolApplication" point="org.eclipse.core.runtime.applications">
<parameter name="optimize" value="true"/>
API Information: The value of the class attribute must represent an implementor of org.eclipse.equinox.application.IApplication.
The interface org.eclipse.core.runtime.IPlatformRunnable has been deprecated and replaced by the org.eclipse.equinox.application.IApplication interface. The org.eclipse.core.runtime.IPlatformRunnable interface is supported only for backwards compatibility.
Supplied Implementation: The platform supplies a number of applications including the platform workbench itself.
Copyright (c) 2004, 2007 IBM Corporation and others.
All rights reserved. This program and the accompanying materials are made
available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0 which
this distribution, and is available at