Configuring product defaults
In addition to providing intro customization to the end users for the first
time, Welcome preference page will allow product authors to create the
introData.xml file to be used for the first startup. The procedure is simple:
- Launch the product for the first time
- Open the Welcome preference page (a quick way to do this is from the
local tool bar of the Welcome view where a new tool bar button opens the
Preferences into the right page)
- For each page, manipulate the available extensions by moving them
between the four page quadrants (upper-left, upper-right, lower-left,
lower-right) and the Available list, or moving extensions up or down within
the same list (relative order). Use drag and drop to get the desired
- If needed, add the separator between the extension within the quadrant.
- All extensions have the default importance setting of 'Low'. To change
it, click on the extension image to get the drop-down list to open and pick
a different setting from the list (e.g. High, Medium or Callout).
- Press OK to see the preferences applied to Welcome.
- If satisfied, open the preference page again and press 'Save As...'
- Store the file as 'introData.xml' in the product plug-in.
- Set org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal/INTRO_DATA preference to the
- Start the product on a fresh workspace to test if the data from the file
has been picked up.
List 'Available Extensions' holds all the extensions that are currently
hidden. They can be moved to one of the four quadrants of each page.